The Hampton County Courthouse, built in 1878-1879, is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The cornerstone was laid October 12, 1878 by Gov. Wade Hampton.
Side view of Courthouse with All Wars Memorial.
The County Jail was built in 1878 and served the people until 1976. Second floor cells have been preserved and are a distinctive museum attraction for the County Historical Society.
Nell Lightsey Park, next to the Hampton Museum & Visitors' Center, corner of Lee Avenue and Elm Street.
Saving the bench from the Hampton County Country Club. Bench was from players and coaches. Town workers placed bench in Nell Lightsey Park on Lee Avenue side of park.
Housing the American Legion Post 108 since 1933, this hut of cypress logs cut just a few miles from Hampton, was built by members of the Post and WPA. It is on The National Register of Historic Places.
Built in the 1870's, it served as Hampton's first schoolhouse until 1911, legend has it that Gov. Wade Hampton spoke from the balcony when he first visited the town.
The Palmetto Theater opened in 1946 and became one of the social centers of Hampton County. In the 1980's, lack of attendance caused the theater to close. It was not until 1989 that local productions were again presented in this original art deco style theater and the county formed the Hampton County Arts Council to operate the theater.
Copyright © 2010 Town of Hampton608 First St. WHampton, SC 29924
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.orgPhone: (803) 943-2951Fax: (803) 943-2182